HomeFAQMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Become a forum donator by scrolling to the bottom of this page and click Contribute, this can help provide features such as a .com domain name, no advertisements, advertisements on other places, and more storage space for me to make things with. Purple name for all donators!
Announcements:

Share | 

Leaving children alone?

Go down 

Do you agree with this person?
Yes
80%
 80% [ 4 ]
No
20%
 20% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
Monkey
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Leaving children alone?   Fri May 21, 2010 3:03 pm

I read this very intresting article on yahoo.

Quote :
Some people think it's crazy -- usually because they think I'm suggesting leaving kids there all day (I actually say even 10 minutes is a good start), and also because they think it is so unsafe.

My goal is selfish. On so many nice days I tell my sons, "Go outside! It's 80 degrees!" And they look out the window and say, "No. No one's there." Back to the computer. So here's a day for us to break the ice by getting them out and meeting each other! Running! Playing! Organizing their own game of football or four square!

Oh wait. It's too terrifying. As Joanna Molloy says in today's New York Daily News (where this idea is literally front page news), "The world is a way scarier place than it was when we were kids."

Scarier? It sure is. More dangerous? No. And that's the big difference.

We are way more scared than our own parents were, thanks to a 24/7 media culture that will go to Portugal to cover the story of an abducted girl, or Aruba. (Can you think of any other story that has come out of those two countries?) Those stories are rare but ratings gold, so they are blown up for days, weeks, months. Meanwhile, in terms of crime, New York City just celebrated its lowest murder rate on record! Nationally, crime was down 10 percent! Our crime rate is lower than when we were kids, playing outside! And yet, as a Gallup poll found, 73 percent of Americans think we are less safe than ever.

This includes Ms. Molloy. Of course, she works at a tabloid. A newspaper's job is to sell papers and fear sells.

So she talks about how crazy and stupid children can be. So true. Which is why we have to teach them basic skills -- how to cross a street, how to deal with bullies -- and gradually let them grow up.

The new buzzword among child development experts is "self-regulation" -- the ability to stop yourself from doing something you know is dumb, or force yourself to do the right thing (like homework). And lately those same experts are suggesting that one of the very best ways to develop that kind of internal maturity is through ... play! Free play! With other kids, and not with a coach, mentor, tutor, parent or iPad.

"Wait your turn!" shouted by a friend, turns out to be the greatest self-regulation teacher in the world.

Our kids are stuck inside with computers that never make them wait their turn, and a refrigerator that's always full, and a window looking out onto empty lawns. As C. Everett Koop, the former surgeon general, says: "Is there a risk to sending your kid out? Absolutely. Is there a benefit? It exceeds the risk ... Make your kids go out and play."

This is a guy whose life is dedicated to the health of our nation.

Let's break the cycle of empty neighborhoods and create a community again, starting 10 a.m. on Saturday morning at our local playgrounds. Even if it's just for a few minutes, let's bring back childhood.

Agree or disagree? Personally, I agree word for word what this person has said. The world has become way too frightful and safe for kids, to even walk to the park. Although I don't actually agree with going outside, If your a person that has a life, then I wouldn't see why not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lunarstate.co.cc
elbow18
General
General

PostSubject: Re: Leaving children alone?   Fri May 21, 2010 3:48 pm

I do not go out alone because the police are on alert for a person who does bad things to young people,who has a hideaway in my alleyway I use to get to school,that's at the end of my street.You get my point.Anyway also I am scared stiff of being alone in my village.I am in a form with some people who need to be locked up for things and If they saw me (The nerdy freak)I dunno what they'ed do to me.I wear hearing aids you see so yeah.However If I had any nearby freinds I would play with them but I don't so I can't.
I belive though that people should go outside and play and jump if thats what they want to do .If children want to stay inside and do something relaxing then thats up to them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Andz200zx
Elite Spartan
Elite Spartan

PostSubject: Re: Leaving children alone?   Sat May 22, 2010 3:36 pm

Its a tricky one, isn't it? My mum always tells me to go outside but theres nothing to do and I'm no good at sports so I stay at home on the computer (6-8 hours on a weekday) and do what I do best
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mybebobook.ning.com
Bigcitylights
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Leaving children alone?   Mon May 31, 2010 12:31 am

Its not exactly more dangerous then it was when our parents were there but more "publicized." Like you turn on the news its about some sex offender who just raped a girl or some gang that just shot an old lady.

Me? Well I'm never out alone anymore without my cellphone or with a friend that knows karate. Because I looked and found the locations of sex offenders and there seems to be one just about every place I'd want to go to.

Also I live by a very well known ghetto town, where you wear red in the bad part and you're dead.

I think we should be careful but then make sure our kids get exercise, especially in obese America and get outside for at least 1 hour a day, in a safe place like at school during recess or extracurricular sports.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leaving children alone?   

Back to top Go down

Leaving children alone?
Page 1 of 1